Best Diet Plan for PCOS Patient
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome is a common problem in women with the hormonal endocrine disorder and it almost affects 1 out of 10 women who reach the child-bearing age. This syndrome creates many complications at the time of conceiving or pregnancy and symptoms vary from women to women.
PCOS also causes other problems such as skin issue, sudden weight gain, hair loss, and growth of extra hairs on face and body. An early treatment of this disease is necessary as it can lead to other issues like hypertension, high cholesterol level, insulin resistance, type 2 Diabetes, heart disease, so for prevention apply a dedicated PCOS diet plan and regular exercise.
Healthy food for PCOS patients: You should add following healthy food in your diet.
Green leafy vegetable:
These leafy vegetables are rich in iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium and vitamin K, C, E and most important essential vitamin B are very useful if you are suffering from PCOS. They improve the function of the thyroid, fat metabolism, better hormone balance and also improve fertility. The calcium present in these vegetables helps into ovaries development and potassium help into increase the Follicle Stimulation Hormone.
These vegetables are loaded with powerful antioxidants which help to balance the harmful effects of oxidative stress in women who are suffering from PCOS. Some colored healthy vegetables are sweet potatoes, bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, eggplant etc.
Fruits are rich in minerals, vitamins, fibers, and poly nutrients. Women who are suffering from PCOS have to add fruits in their diets because fructose present in fruits balance blood sugar levels and consequently insulin level. Choose only that fruits which have the low amount of Glycemic Index like kiwifruit, apricot, oranges, pear, watermelon, apple, guava, lime, strawberries. You can also take a handful nuts daily to balance the sugar level caused by the fruits.
All the fats are not unhealthy for women suffering from PCOS. You have to add some healthy fats are rich in fatty acid for maintaining the cells, and remove toxins from the body as well as hormonal balance. Healthy fats are found in seeds, olive oil, oily fish, avocado. They also rich in vitamin D and B which are very essential to cure PCOS.
Weight gain is a major problem for those who are suffering from PCOS, so it is necessary to control body weight that’s why you have added protein rich food in your diet. Meat is one of the natural sources of protein, which help to weight loose.
Foods you should avoid on a PCOS diet: Here is a list of foods to avoid when you are suffering from PCOS.
- Avoid high GI foods like pasta, white rice, and starchy vegetables. These foods sudden causes increase in blood sugar causing insulin release. These foods create issues at the time of ovulation.
- Avoid soy products delayed ovulation which is very harmful to women who are suffering from PCOS.
- Unhealthy fats, namely saturated fats, trans-fats and hydrogenated fats lead to increase the level of estrogen by which weight will be increased in women.
- Dairy products should be avoided although they are important for a balanced diet it tends to cause an increase in testosterone levels because of certain proteins found in these foods.
- Caffeine and alcohol consumption generally affects fertility in women. It increases the levels of estradiol which is an estrogen hormone which affects the menstrual cycle and ovulation.
- Avoid food which contains preservatives, chemicals, and added flavors. This releases harmful hormones in the body which affect the insulin levels.
Following this diet is always more beneficial. For most of the women, weight loss is the main target so you should have to opt healthy diet for losing weight with lots of nutrients, proteins, and vitamins which help to control the hormonal imbalance.