Corn Oat Upma
The south indian breakfast made with oats.Enjoy it with a good cup of coffee.
- 1 cup – roasted for 2-3 minutes and then powdered in a mixer
- 3 tbsp oil,1/2 tsp mustard seeds (sarson), 1dry red chilli (sukhi lal mirch)
- 2 tbsp split gram lentils ( channe ki dal), 1 tsp split black beans ( urad dhuli dal)
- 10-12 curry leaves, optional, 1 onion- chopped finely, 1 tomato - chopped finely
- 2 cups water, 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup corn kernels -boiled or frozen, use peas instead if you like
- ½ capsicum-chopped finely, juice of 1 lemon
- In a clean heavy bottomed kadhai,heat oil. Reduce heat.Add mustard seeds.
- Remove from fire . Add the dry red chilli, channa and urad dal curry leaves. Stir till dal turns light brown.
- Return to fire . Add onions. Fry till onions turn golden brown.
- Add water and salt. Let it come to a boil.
- Cover and cook on low flame for 3-4 minutes till the dal is cooked and is no longer crunchy.
- Keeping the flame low, add chopped tomato and corn kernels/peas.Stir.
- Add oats gradually with one hand, stirring with the other hand continuously.
- Stir fry the upma for 3-4 minuts till dry. Turn off the fire and add capsicum and lemon juice. Mix well.
- To serve, transfer some hot upma in a steel katori. Press lightly. Place the serving plate on the katori and holding the katori in one hand and pressing the plate with the hand, invert the katori on to the plate to get a heap of upma for an individual serving.